Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pocono Creek - May 24 2013

Fished the Pocono Creek yesterday in the early afternoon. It was overcast and drizzly with moderate rain at times (perfect for fly fishing). I chose the PC because we received additional rain throughout the night and I thought some of the larger streams may be to dirty (brown water) to effectively catch fish. The PC was slightly off color and it was runner much faster than when I fished it earlier in the month. On the upside is that these conditions produced more and bigger fish. Stealth played little role in catching as well since the water was slightly off color. I fished a smaller olive WB the whole time I fished the creek. I landed around 5 browns but missed several others (10 +). Not sure why I missed so many as typically fishing with a WB has a good catch percentage. The hook was sharp and the fish were big enough to eat it. Hmmmm... Not sure. One of my misses appeared to be a larger brown possibly in the 15-16" range which is a dandy for a wild brown on the stream the size of PC.

I hit up the Brodhead for an hour or so before I went home. There were birds hovering the whole creek and fish were practically jumping. This could only mean one thing.....BWO's........! Yup sure enough, they were everywhere and the fish were taking them. I caught and missed a few more on the BHC and then finally went home. Once again, you've got to love rainy days in the Pocono's for fly fishing!

Pocono Brown

Wild trout under I-80

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    As another fly fisher who knows the value of Pocono Creek, I'll just throw it out there and say I've always debated whether or not little Pocono should be talked about on the internet. My position over 14 years of fishing it has always been to keep it between good friends. I'm in Bartonsville over Memorial Day weekend every year. Look me up at the Countryside Cottages. Ask for the Kelly family reunion and ask for Paul. I'd love to trade stories about the wild browns of little Pocono, between fly fishers.
    I recently closed two blogs I started on some favorite streams because it got me thinking if folks who take every fish they catch were to read about me success, they could really impact a fishery. Just my thoughts. Nice reading your blog. Later.--Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about that time of year! I'll be fishing Pocono May 23 thru May 26. Let me know if you'd like to share the water at Countryside Cottages. Just swing into Countryside before 9am, ask for the Kelly Family Reunion. You'll find me.--Paul

    ReplyDelete