Monday, April 16, 2012

Putah Creek, Northern California, April 16 2012

I fished Putah Creek today in Northern California. It was the closest trout stream where I am working for business currently. I contemplated the 3 hour drive to the Upper Sacramento but I wanted to try the local stream. I scouted the creek on Saturday and talked to one local fisherman. He informed me that Putah creek is  a "four star trout fishery", whatever that means. I do know that Putah is not stocked anymore and there are some incredibly large wild rainbows in there, 30+ inches.

I fished the morning from 1030-130 between pulloffs 2 and 3. I tried nymphing a BHPT, caddis pupa, zebra midge, and a caddis emerger. I didn't get any hits nor did I see many fish. I went back to my hotel room until around 6 and heading back out for the evening hatch and what a hatch it turned out to be! Slowly, yellow stoneflies began to fill the air. There were some other "non eastern flies" that I couldn't identify as well. Once the flies came out, the fish started to show themselves by rising to the stones. I missed roughly 6 and landed 5. None were even close to the monsters I was hoping for but it was fun to catch them and they are my first wild rainbows. Their colors are quite different than the stockies we catch in PA. I caught all the trout on a yellow colored sulphur parachute pattern.

I'm anxious to get back to the Pocono's since I missed yet another trout opener. I have never fished opening day in the 8 years I've lived in PA. Even once I do get the chance, I doubt I would contend with the crowds anyway.


Lake Berryessa Dam



 Lake Berryessa


 Putah Creek


Putah Bow


Putah Bow

No comments:

Post a Comment