Friday, April 6, 2012

Early April 2012 - McMichael's Creek Delayed Harvest

The past week, MMC has been producing good hatches of caddis, black and green (16-18). The fish have been actively taking them on top when they aren't concentrating on the emergers. The water is so slow and clear so 6X-7X and absolutely no drag is a must or the fish will nose your fly and swim away. I'm sure I've had over a hundred "noses" the past week. The larger fish have been in the darker holes where you can't see the bottom.

Water Temp: low to mid 50's
Successfull flies used: green/black caddis, caddis emerger, griffiths gnat, parachute adams, sucker spawn, BHPT, green wooly bugger, small BWO.

I have seen some mayfly hatches but not as many as I thought I would have by now, mostly BWO's. I had a beautiful bow on today that took an adams parachute in a fast run. It was the most graceful jumping trout I've ever hooked up with. It got off after about 10 seconds and 3 jumps. It took drag on my 3 weight almost instantly. I'd guess it was roughly 16-17" with beautiful colors. Definately not a 2012 stockie.


No comments:

Post a Comment