Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sulphurs and March Browns on Brodhead Creek

I caught my first Sulphur and March Brown hatches this year. It seems to be a little early from previous years.

May 8 - It rained most of the day but it wasn't a heavy rain. I fished the BHC from 415-530. As soon as I hit the creek, I saw birds hovering over the water so I knew I timed a hatch. I expected BWO's due to the overcast and rainy day but there were large (10-12) March Browns hatching. I matched the hatch with a dry and caught 5 browns.

May 9 - I fished the evening hatch from 7-840. There were sulphurs regularly coming off at 8. There weren't as many rises based on the number of insects out. This was most likely due to the cloudy water from yesterdays day long rain. I landed 2 browns and missed a couple of others. The water level is up but it will probably be clear again by tomorrow.

Graph of


No comments:

Post a Comment