Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bushkill Creek - Easton PA, Jan 19, 2013


I fished the Bushkill near the town of Easton in mid January. It was a sunny day in the Pocono's but unfortunately partly cloudy in the Lehigh Valley. I fished the C&R, non stocked, section of the Bushkill. Most of my time was spent across from the Crayola building. I wanted to fish this stream due to the fact that I've heard/read that it fishes well in the winter in part from its limestone influence. Even with it being a limestone stream, its water temperature measured similarly to the Pocono freestoners I'd been fishing in January. Mid-day water temp was mid 40's. I fished a dual nymph combo without weight. I mostly used BHPT and BHHE nymphs. There was a local fisherman throwing rapalas there that morning. He provided some useful information to me. He had caught a couple of smaller browns on his rapala further upstream from where I was fishing and had one decent sized brown roll up on his lure 30 yards from where I was fishing. He said that most FF'ers have luck throwing streamers this time of the year so I took his advice. He also explained where I could access Martin's Creek since I planned to drive home the scenic route.

I caught no fish on my first trip to the Bushkill but it has a lot of potential and I think will be a stream I'll hit again soon. There's still a lot of the stream that I haven't fished yet.

On my way home, I stopped and scouted Martins Creek and fished momentarily. No fish but there is surprisingly a lot of open water in the Class A section that flows into the Delaware. There was another FF'er in the upper stretch of Martins, where it is ATW. I'll be coming back to the quaint town of Martin's Creek again soon.


Bushkill Near Crayola

City Fishing

Bushkill Panoram

Stream Side Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment