Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2, 2011 evening hatch on Brodhead Creek (Trout and Fireworks)

I went back to my proven trout grounds tonight from 8:45-9:30 pm. The fishing wasn't hot but fish were rising and taking. I fished a sulphur with high vizz parachute tonight so I could see the fly in the low light. There weren't any sulphurs out but I feel presentation in the evening is more important than color. I can verify that I don't have any drag when I can see my fly and a high vizz white parachute at night is the easiest to see. I landed 3 browns and missed several others. The bites were light and when I was fishing solely by sound, I had a real hard time hearing the rise before I knew to set the hook. I learned one new trick tonight. Red lights allow enough light to tie on a fly but they don't attract the swarms of mosquitoes.


As the skies got darker tonight, neighborhood firework displays became plentiful. There were various firework displays all around me while I waded ankle deep in the BHC. Great temperature, no wind, clear skies, stars, hungry fish, and fireworks! That can only happen this time of the year and to make things better, no fisherman to compete with.

2 comments:

  1. I fished the tobyhanna this morning at the Austin T. Blakeslee Natural Area. Nothing was rising at all so i went to a spinning rod and live bait and caught a handful of little rock bass and 2 very nice seasoned rainbows. Do you know any good areas of the toby to fly this time of year also what hatches are out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin T Blakeslee is great in the fall for large Browns. I haven't fished it much this time of the year though. My deer hunting grounds are near there so I generally fish after my morning hunt in the fall. Toby Creek is low right now. There are some deeper holes and shade on the upper end of the creek, closer to the town of Tobyhanna. The areas of the delayed harvest section that I fish also have low water. All in all, trout fishing is tough right now with the high temperatures and low water. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete