Sunday, July 31, 2011

Plenty of trout still in Brodhead Creek - July 31 2011

I thought that the extreme heat we had the past couple of weeks may have killed off a lot of the local Brodhead trout. I had been fishing my trout waters and was only catching bass but last night showed me the trout are still alive and well. At 8:30 last night the trout went nuts! I saw white bellied trout performing acrobatic barrel rolls all around me in the shallows. Fish were jumping and rolling in water 1-2 feet deep. I don't know what they were eating but it didn't really matter because they were agressive. These trout were fat and nice sized. The activity I saw last night was hotter and faster than I've seen all year. It lasted until about 9 pm. I landed 3 trout and missed over a dozen more. I hooked into an additional 2 trout but they got off probably due to my aggressive retrieval. I landed the fish very fast and aggressively in order to have a successful catch and release. All trout took off well after being released. I used a high vizz parachute BWO and then a high vizz parachute light cahill, both size 16. The light cahill was much easier to see in the dim light. It didn't really matter what I presented because I even saw trout eat a duck feather floating. As long as the fly was drifting drag-free, they were hammering it. The insects that I saw were black/tan caddis, mosquitoes, stoneflies, moths, and small very small unknown to me type flies. All insects were small, 16 or smaller. I wasn't expecting much action last night but I was pleasantly surprised. I guess the trout were in survival mode the past few weeks. Hopefully this hot action will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment