Saturday, March 10, 2012

McMichael's Creek Delayed Harvest - MAR 7-10 2012

7 Mar - Fished BHPT (bead head pheasant tail) and BHHE (bead head hares ear) in slower runs. Creek level is down but still easily fishable. Only landed 1 trout and missed a couple of others. Trout hit the fly when I lifted the rod to recast (emerging). Outside air temp was nice. 50-60 degrees. I fished from 3-530 pm.

8 Mar - Fished further downstream from previous day. I found a nice fast run that held multiple trout. Landed 4-5, mostly rainbows. Missed 1/2 dozen as well. Fished BHPT and BHHE again. Most were caught on BHPT, size 16-18. Fished from 3-5 pm. Air temp was warmer with 60 + temps. Water measured 58 degrees but that was the top of the water where the sun was beating. I'm sure the bottom of the creek was still in the 40's. I used my laser temp meter.

10 Mar - Fished the same ten foot section for 3 hours, 3-6 pm. Landed over 12 trout. Most trout were pretty small with majority bows. Missed another 20 +. I started fishing a BHPT. Switched to an orange micro egg with no luck but I didn't add weight to it. The section I was fishing was around 3 feet deep with a swift current. I switched to a sucker spawn with a small split shot and my day got fun! After about 1 1/2 hours of educating the fish, I switched to a griffiths gnat because I kept seeing fish work the bank eating midges. Repeatedly taking trout on a dry fly in early March is a real treat! Early black stoneflies have been around in abundance during the afternoon the past week as well. Trout were rising to them occasionally but not with any consistency.

 Trout taken on BHPT - 8 March

Larger brown taken on griffiths gnat - 10 March

No comments:

Post a Comment