Monday, March 26, 2012

Lehigh River, Carbon County PA - March 24 2012

I fished the Lehigh River near Mud Run this past Saturday. I biked in from Leslie Run DCNR parking area. I fished near the Mud Run trib down for about 2 miles. Outside air temp was about the same as the water, mid to high 50's. The Lehigh is very low right now so it is very wadeable. This was my first time fishing it so I can't compare the current but I can't imagine wading it over 500 cfs. I didn't know what to expect from the river. I started off with a BH Wooly Bugger and had a hit and a miss on the first cast. I fished approximately from 9 am to 2 pm. I ended up landing 2 brown trout. The one was quite nice, 16-17 inches. Both were caught on the bugger. I found various slow pools where I anticipated some rises but the only rise I got on the day was to a big bright pink indicator. Why would a trout hit it but not the real fly imitations I threw at it? Crazy. All in all, I enjoyed the Lehigh a lot. It makes me want to buy a drift boat and start fishing it more often. The colors on the trout were beautiful as well. I would assume that they are holdover or wild.


Graph of  Discharge, cubic feet per second

 Leslie Run

Bike with gear

Lehigh River

 1st Brown

2nd Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment