Monday, March 19, 2012

McMichael's Creek Delayed Harvest, March 15-16 2012

I fished March 15 and 16 on the McMichaels Creek DHALO section again as it is the only nearby stream open to fishing until the mid April opener. Weather has still been crazy. High's in the 60's. Water temp is mid 40's. I fished both days in the mid afternoon to late afternoon. Fishing is still excellent. I'm not sure if this excellent March fishing is going to make the season go by fast but at the moment, I can't imagine the pocono's have had a better March for fly fishing in years.

I landed over 20 fish in the 2 day period. Hot fly was a bh green wolly bugger. They kept hammering it like it was a roostertail every 2-3 casts. Also caught trout on sucker spawn, bhpt, black caddis, gg, and adams parachute. Fish were rising fairly consistently and even if they were concentrating on emergers, they still would take a dry if drifted properly. Like always, I had a lot of fish put their noses right on the fly and then reject it  but I'll take rejection over no interest at all. Most of the trout were bows with some browns but I finally caught a couple of the brookies. I hope this great fishing continues all the way through June at the least. We definately need some rain.




No comments:

Post a Comment