Friday, April 22, 2011

4-22-11 (Brodhead Creek)

I fished the Brodhead Creek (BHC) section by the new ball field today. This was the first time I've fished the BHC since the huge rains we received last fall and again this spring. The creek has changed immensely! The channels are different. The deep holes are in different locations. Alot of my previous fishing hot spots are washed away. This year will be a year of me re-discovering new fishing grounds. I surveyed the stream for about an hour today (0930-1030) until I finally found a good stretch prime for nymphing. This stretch had current but it wasn't screaming like the rest of the creek. Today was overcast and cold (40-45degrees) so I wasn't anticipating much dry fly action. I kicked some rocks over and found plenty of bugs hugging the bottoms. After examing the bugs, I tied on a hares ear ( maybe size 14) and a beadhead pheasant tail (18) under it. Once I properly placed my indicator at the correct depth, I started popping rainbows. The current was pretty strong so every bow took drag and felt like a monster! I landed 7 bows from 1030-1145, all on the bh pheasant tail. I plan to get out again on Saturday and next week's weather looks beautiful (70's) so my newly tied dry flies may get some action!

No comments:

Post a Comment