Saturday, April 30, 2011

4-30-11 (McMichael's Creek)

Michael's Creek Delay Harvest Area


Rainbow Trout

BH Hares Ear & BH Pheasant Tail



Fished the delayed harvest area of McMichael's Creek this morning. I fished from 0800-1130. I landed 9 trout, all which were Rainbows. I hooked into roughly 14 trout. Two spin fisherman near me hooked into some nice 16+ inch Brookies but apparently they were not interested in my nymphs. I used a BH hares ear and BH phesant tail, both size 16 today. All Bows were caught on BHPT. The creek was running fast as we received more rain the past few days. The levels are much higher than normal this time of year. I had a trout surface to my indicator today but I never witnessed any surface to flies, most likely due to the lack of mayflies. I quit fishing right when a "probable hatch" should occur but I thought I'd see a few hatches in the morning hours. Most every riff produced fish today. I  would catch a couple and then move on as the action slowed immensely after taking one to two fish out of a hole. Above is the stream section where Imostly fished today, 1 nicely colored rainbow, and my dual nymph combo setup. Next time I go out fishing, I'm going to try to fish the afternoon or atleast the evening for a better chance of catching a hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment