Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fishing after more rain (4-23-11)

I fished again today from roughly 330-600 pm. I fished the same section of the Brodhead as yesterday. It rained last night and into this morning and we probably received 1/2 inch to 1 inch of rain. The water was screaming even faster today and the clarity was worse. A bright note was that there was a nice BWO hatch going on this afternoon. The first picture below shows one of the several BWO's sitting on the rocks. There were numerous BWO sailboats floating atop the water as well. I saw some fish surface but not as many as you would think with the amount of sailboats floating. I'm guessing the water was a little dirty where they couldn't see the surface very well.

I tried some BWO dries with no avail but since I left my weighters in the car, I couldn't cast real smooth. I was planning on simply nymphing along the banks from shore as I did yesterday. After about 10 minutes of casting the dry BWO, I put on a hares ear and a BH pheasant tail below it. Because of the recent rain, I had to add extra weight and place my indicator higher so I could get my nymphs closer to the bottom. I had roughly 8 hook-ups from 430-6 pm. I landed 3 and lost the rest including a couple flies that a nice Brown broke off. I hooked all the Rainbows on the BH and the 2 Browns on the hares ear. The browns were very nice sized.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment