Tuesday, May 10, 2011

5-10-11 (McMichael's Creek) - The trout are finally looking towards the sky!

I fished the DHA of McMichael's Creek today from 4-8 pm. Caught all trout on BHPT's and all trout were Rainbows. There were "somewhat regular" surfaces from 4-7 but no consistencies and there were no visible flies floating or fluttering. I bought a new net so it is hard to catch any flies now because my net is rubber and not netting. At 7, there were small hatches of mayflies and a decent hatch of caddis. I could visibly see the caddis fluttering above the water while laying their eggs during each touch and go. I spent the last hour fishing trying various dry flies but nothing worked. I had two strikes, each on a tan caddis. I don't think I hooked up with any trout on the dries for several reasons. I don't think there were enough flies hatching, I wasn't using the correct flies, and it seemed most trout were concentrated on emergers. Almost every trout caught was hooked when the fly came to the end of its drift and began to "emerge" with a subsequent cast. The weather has been great. The last couple days have been sunny and in the 70’s and I’m guessing the water temperature was near 60 degrees today.

No comments:

Post a Comment