Thursday, May 5, 2011

5-5-11 McMichaels Creek - Delayed Harvest Area

I fished the evening hours on the McMichaels Creek - Delayed Harvest Area today. I fished from 6-815 pm in hopes of catching some late evening hatches but unfortunately I didn't. There was a local guide with a client on the creek this evening. He mentioned that he hasn't been seen any surface activity on the McMichaels either due to the water temperature still being in the 50's. Today was sunny but only 60 degrees outside for a high. We received more rain yesterday but the stream's current wasn't too bad. I scouted a couple of new sections of the DHA and managed to land 4 Rainbows. I had one real nice trout on tonight but it got off after a few seconds. It's tough to say how big it was but I imagined it being atleast 17 inches. I tried casting a tan caddis from 8-815 because there was some bug activity and a couple of risers but I couldn't persuade anything to rise. I don't mind nymphing, especially when I can catch fish, but I want to start casting and drifting a dry. The most enjoyable moment for me with fly fishing is when the trout breaks surface and my rod bends and twitches from the trout's head moving immediately after setting the hook. Ahhhh, hopefully mother nature will warm up the streams to the 60's and my dreams can come reality!

Snapshots from tonight:


Rod tip and indicator


Sunlight on boots


Too dark to fish?

No comments:

Post a Comment