Monday, June 6, 2011

Early June 2011 on the Brodhead Creek - Things are HOT HOT HOT!

3 JUN 2011 - Took my son fishing for the first time on Friday (he's 11 months). We fished the BHC for about 45 minutes before his attention turned and until he was no longer hungry for snacks! I didn't bring the fly rod because it was the first time with him. We caught 2 Bows on a rooster tail. He smiled at the fish but didn't seem too interested - YET. We fished in the mid afternoon.

5 JUN 2011 - I fished from 7-930 am on Sunday. Fished BHC. I started using nymphs for about 10 minutes but I kept seeing "risers" so I switched to a dry. There wasn't much bug activity so I'm guessing they were eating emergers but I still managed to catch a few on a tan caddis and PMD. I missed several. I also fished the evening this same day and it was AWSOME!!!! I caught my largest Brown trout ever with  light cahill dry fly at 9 pm. He measured 22 inches and took me about 7-8 minutes to get in. I had tried to rush in another large trout earlier and he broke me off so I was careful with this one. It was too dark to see my fly but I heard him surface so I set the hook and the fun began! I didn't know how big he was until I netted him because it was so dark out. I landed over a dozen other trout that night and missed over twenty. The sulphurs and caddis were out like mad at dawn. You could throw anything light in color out there and successfully catch trout as long as the fly didn’t have drag. I had this whole section to myself. I love to fish this time of year! Of course I didn't have my good camera with me to photo the big brown but I managed a "decent" shot with a cell phone and a flashlight. See below. I'm going out again tonight so hopefully my friend will still be hungry.Something that seemed odd this night was that I normally catch 95% Rainbows in this spot but I caught 95% Browns this night. I'd take a Brown over a Bow any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment